BACK ON THE MOUNTAIN
Being the bitch and taking over the mountain...in more ways than one.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Music and Mountains go hand and hand

Music rules the soul in every way possible. Even Plato knew it. One of my favorite quotes on music is by him:
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form."
Just substitute music with mountains and Plato's insight still rings true. That's agreeable.

I'll never forget my first listening taste of Simon and Garfunkel. I was maybe 12 and on my way back from Peek 'n Peek. Bridge over Trouble Water -- I was in awe. I listened on a friend's walkman - the cassette tape kind of course. Remember those days? Mix tapes?

Many memories throughout my life are connected with music, mountains in particular. So what better way to begin to compile a list of great music to listen to while traveling to and back from mountain adventures!

Here is a starting list of greatness. The first two I consider "happy jam" music, which encompass many more options, but these are from my recent experience.

1. Bob Marley (Listened to Bob on my way to Sugar Bowl with family last year. Driving surrounded by billowy snow while listening to warm island tunes -- amazing. Not necessarily the Legend album.)
2. The Grateful Dead (Listened to on the way back from Sugar Bowl this year. After realizing I was "ski driving" (see last post for definition), I had to switch to something else. Self explanatory, really.)
3. 90's Music (Listened to mix on the way to Mt. High, my first mountain trek of this season. Two words: New Radicals)

No comments:

Post a Comment